Follow Me!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

First Thoughts: Motive Sculpt Series Contour Palette

There are two things that you can't argue with about the lovely, Kim Kardashian. Sure she is beautiful, but lets talk about the fact that her make up is always flawless! Whether she is rockin a "natural" look or   "glamming" it up, one thing is for certain, her make up artist has great talent. Her contouring is pretty much on point on any given day. After watching so many tutorials and seeing so much on Pinterest about how to get Kim's contoured look, I decided it was time for me to put it to the test.

Luckily for me, just about the time I was thinking of writing a blog such as this one, Motives by Loren Ridinger came out with an amazing palette that I was dying to try. I don't usually spend a lot of money on products I'm unsure about but in this case, I had seen so many before and after photos on Instagram that I just had to take the plunge. I placed the order and my Motives Mavens Sculpt Series palette was on its way!

The Motives Mavens Sculpt Series in Fire



After watching a few more tutorials and seeing that the basic technique was pretty much the same for all the bloggers and you tubers, I took the plunge.


I started with the lightest shade and drew a line from the inner corner of my eye down to my nostril. I brought the same line diagonally up to my temple connecting the lines.



I applied some on my forehead, chin and a line down the center of my nose. The idea is to highlight the areas that would naturally be touched by the sun.

At this point I should have realized that I maybe was doing it backwards but I didn't so lets move on...


A great thing about this palette is that it is one of the only palettes that comes with a brush that is actually capable of doing what its there for, which was a big help in applying the darker shade. I used the 3rd shade in the palette. 

Here is the part where I begin to look like I belong to some sort of a tribe. I brushed the dark color along my hairline,




 along my jawline and in the hollows of my cheeks. Then I outlined the highlighted area of my nose with the darker color.

 Blending was a lot harder than I thought it would be so here are my few tidbits of advice.
  1. Apply the darker shades first. Unlike all of the tutorials I've seen, It probably would have been a lot easier if I first applied the dark shade and blended it out before applying the lighter, highlight color.
  2. Unless you have shit ton of triangular sponge applicators, invest in a name brand Beauty Blender. Seriously, I ordered one the minute I was done with this.
  3. Trust me, after you blend the darker color, applying the lighter color and blending it will not only blend it a bit easier, but it will also help so that your darker shade doesn't accidently get onto your lighter areas. It was a mess... I learned that the hard way.
  4. Get ready for your arms to feel a bit tired. After all that blotting and blending, my arms were exhausted. Probably because I never work out but also because if you want it to all blend flawlessly, a lot of blending is needed. More than the norm that's for sure.


 As you can see in the two pictures above, tons more blending was needed. Sigh. But on the plus side, focusing more on the palette itself, the formula was so smooth and creamy and it was easy to apply.

And... I was able to use the darkest color in the palette to fill and shape my brows a bit.

After blending for what felt like forever, I applied a translucent powder all over to set it.
After applying my makeup, this was my finished look. A subtle difference from my usual makeup but I loved the way it brightened certain areas of my face and also fully covered my blemishes and uneven skintone. I felt a little paranoid in the beginning because I was nervous I would accidently wipe it off and mess it up, but it lasted all day.
Overall, no I don't look like Kimmy K but I was happy with the results I got. It took a lot of blending but it definitely made a difference. Will I add this into my daily routine? Probably not but I will use it during special occasions.


Thank you for stopping by The Messy Vanity,

Kat

Here's a tid bit of something fun...Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment