Follow Me!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Ever wonder what those tiny splinter looking things on your nail beds are?

Do you ever get these little things under your nails? Ever wonder what they are? How the heck did a splinter get there? 


I've gotten them on my nail beds for as long as I can remember. They kind of just show up for a while and go away. In some instances, they're tender to the touch. Well I've finally done a bit of research on them. I believe they're what's called Splinter Hemorrhages. 

After a bit of google digging, I found that they seem so be quite common and can happen after any sort of trauma to the nail bed. This time, in my case, I'm assuming it's from scrubbing the tub in my kids bathroom last weekend. As if that wasn't trauma enough. 😳. What it does is cause the area under your nail bed to bleed and because your nails grow in vertical layers, the blood forms into a small line and quickly clots. 
But boy can google be scary sometimes! In some cases these things are signs of an underlying problem. It could be high cholesterol, fungal infection, lupus and a few others. It's something to keep in mind but nothing to be freaking out about if you think you have a Splinter Hemorrhage. 


Here are pictures of the ones I currently have. One on each hand. I tried to edit the pictures as much as I could to enhance the splinter. 


Do you ever get these? 

No comments:

Post a Comment