Follow Me!

Monday, January 27, 2014

No Velcro, No Problem!.... or is it?

Well Ya'll! I'm at it again. You all know I sometimes get these crazy ideas in my head on easier and sometimes bizarre ways to achieve certain looks without the typical products. Hey, what can I say, I'm creative.

I love experimenting with different types of curlers and creating all kinds of curls in different ways. Whether it's tight spiral curls or big sexy curls, I'm up for it. Shoot, I would even try an 80's style perm if I thought I could make it look cute. One thing I have a hard time achieving is a big voluminous curl that is usually made with large velcro rollers. There are a couple of reasons it's not the easiest for me. 1. Is because it is so time consuming for someone who likes to sleep in the morning.(You have to section it, curl it with a curling iron, roll it, then wait.) and 2. I don't have a good set of velcro rollers. Not that I cant afford them but I honestly always find a way to talk myself out of buying them when I see them.  So one day, I thought "hmmmm...what if I made something that I could sleep on so that it cuts back on time in the morning AND I already have it in my house?" SO get ready for this ya'll because I really have no clue if it's going to work! If it does... great! If not... well, that's why they invented ponytails, right? Let's continue, I've decided that if I just take a few of my spiral curling rods and tape them together, I can make a larger curl. Makes sense to me.

 So let's get started shall we?

Materials I used:
  • Lots of spiral curling rods (like the ones here)
  • Spray bottle with 3/4 water and 1/4 conditioner
  • a roll of tape
  • hairbrush
Well let's start with the rollers themselves.
Get about 4 or 5 rods and put them together. (you can use more or less depending in the curl size you'd like)

Take a strip of tape and tape the rods in the center.

Make a few of these bundles. Depending on how thick your hair is, you may need at least 10. I used 9 bundles in my hair. Two on the top, two on each side and three in the back.

Start sectioning off large pieces of your hair and clip any hair that needs to be secured. 
I began with the sides. I took 4 inch sections of my hair, sprayed it with a mist of water and I brushed it straight upwards. Then I took a 'bundle roller' and rolled my hair bending the bundles on the ends to secure.
Oh yeah! I know you're loving this look.
Then I went to the back and repeated the steps. I made sure that each section was pulled upwards and not out. In my head I feel like this will give me the lift that velcro rollers give to add volume... we will see, I guess.

Check out that Messy Vanity ya'll! Ugh, It's a mess!

Finish up with the top section. Start from the back and work your way forward. 
When you're all done, It's time to stand back and take a look at the beauty you've created.
OoooWee! This is gonna be hard to sleep in. But maybe not. Maybe It will be more comfortable since there's more
cushioning from the numerous rollers.


Now... we wait.

What do you think guys? Is this gonna work?
Only time will tell... See ya in the morning!


I'm not gonna lie, the night was rough. I woke up around 2:30am and decided that I needed to at least loosen the side bundles. When I loosened them I noticed my idea was, in fact, working. I went back to sleep pretty excited. 

Here are the results: 
While removing the bundles...

After working my fingers through...

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. Not too shabby for a made up invention. I got the curl and volume I was hoping for and although my process could be tweaked a bit, I think this could be something I do often. It cut tons of time off of my morning process. 

Yes. I know. I'm a genius. (Just kidding) ;)

I hope you like this look. Let me know what you think. 

Thanks for stopping by The Messy Vanity,
Kat






No comments:

Post a Comment