Follow Me!

Monday, July 8, 2013

2 Looks, 2 Tutorials, 1 Face

Yes, I actually named this post "2 Looks, 2 Tutorials, 1 Face". I really need to come up with better titles if this is what it's come to. No matter what the title is, I am excited to bring you these tutorials. They're 2 completely different looks. One bold and retro, One a bit more subtle yet makes a statement.

I was racking my brain trying to figure out what look I wanted to create or recreate next so I decided to just do two. Even that was difficult. There are so many possibilities and looks, it's hard to decide. I knew I wanted to do two drastically different looks and I think I accomplished that with these. I bring you RETRO CHIC (look 1) and SUNKISSED SUNRISE (look 2).

Lets start with the supplies I used for these looks (you can adapt the look using the items you have on hand).
Ok, Ok. I know it seems like a lot but when ya think about it, it's two completely different looks so it's really not that bad.

So let's get started shall we?

You're gonna begin with prepping your face. After priming my face with a Pixi Primer and eyes with Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base & NYX Eye Shadow Base in White , I used Revlon Colorstay Foundation in medium beige and started buffing it in with my stippling brush using circular motions to really get into my pores.  Then using my Coastal Scents Concealer Eclipse Palette, I concealed any small imperfections or redness. I used the same palette to contour my face. Using an angled brush I used the next to darkest shade and applied it on the outer edge of my forehead, slightly below my cheekbones, on my temples and down the sides of my nose . I also used it under my chin to define my jawline a bit.


After contouring, I used my NYX Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator in Sunbeam to highlight my under eye/upper cheekbone area. The T section of my face was highlighted and I also applied a dab on my chin. I used Cover Girl Loose Powder in Translucent Medium to set it all and used my angled brush again to apply the powdered contour shade on my lower cheek. The light pink blush went on the Sunkissed Sunrise side of my face.
(sorry this image is so small, I could get it to be bigger for some reason. Click the photo to enlarge the pics)

Next, I applied NYX Cream Blush in Orange lightly (a little goes a long way) on my Retro Chic side. 

Now to begin the Retro Chic look. 

At this point you can use whatever brushes you feel will get the job done. My brushes don't have names or numbers. I used the lightest matte white shade in my Coastal Scents Mirage Palette and dabbed it all over my lid working it up to my brow line. I then went back in and reapplied the white several times on just the lid building the color so that it really pops.( brush a small amount in your inner tear duct area to make your eyes appear bigger). I went back in to my palette with a fluffy crease brush and worked a taupe color into my crease area. I used a slightly darker brown on the outer corner.




Next, It was time for the key component to a retro look... The Eyeliner! I used my newest liner, which I quickly fell in love with, the Essence I Love Punk Jumbo Eyeliner Pen. Start at the inner corner of your eye and work your way to the outer corner using small, smooth strokes along your lash line. Once you get to the end of your lid, draw a line up and outward as far as you'd like. This will create the guideline to your "wing". From the outer most point of your "wing", start drawing a line back towards your lash line. All you do next is fill it in and smooth out any lines that don't look clean. You really can't mess it up and if you feel you did, just keep building that line until you get it right. Go over your line with a black shadow to set the liner.


Take a slightly lighter shade of black and connect your lower lash line to the upper. Smudge the black out halfway across your lower lash line. Line your waterline with a white liner. I used Rimmel ScandalEyes Shadow stick in Witness White. Grab your best mascara... we're almost done.

Essence I Love Extreme Volume Mascara is what I chose for this look. It creates length and add the right amount of volume for this look. I felt like this was the perfect chance to try out the Lash Cards that I got in one of my Ipsy Bags. It really helped eliminate any clumps that I may have gotten and also separated my lashes. I was really impressed. I then lightly coated my lower lash line with Avon SuperShock Max Mascara.

After filling in and shaping my brows, my eyes were done!


My lips were simple yet BOLD. I don't have any red lip liner so I skipped that step, filled in my lips with Wet n Wild Silk Finish Lipstick in Cherry Frost 514A and coated them with BeaBombshell Lipgloss in Hot Mess. This created the perfect shade of red with just the right amount shine.

The finished look.

Retro Chic


The Sunkissed Sunrise Look

was inspired by those beautiful summer sunrises with pink and orange hues. Again, I went back to my Coastal Scents Mirage Palette and applied it all over my lid up to the crease. I brushed the Maybelline Single Shadow in Pink Petal above the crease up to the brow line. Using a clean fluffy brush I blended the 2 shades together.



I applied a burgundy shade to the crease. Next, I dabbed Bella Terra Mineral Shadow in Goldfish on the center of my lid.

I applied a matte brown to the outer corner and smudged the gold along my lower lash line. After taking a good look, I decided I needed to add a bit more color and depth. What did my sunrise need?... A horizon. 

So I decided to take a shimmery sea breeze bluish green shade and gently lined my bottom lid with this color. I winged it out on both ends. I was thrilled with this result.

With one of my Loreal pigment shades, I brushed just a tad bit of dark copper shimmer above the gold, in the crease, to add depth. I used this same shade lightly across my top lash line as well.

I filled in my lashes, curled them and coated them with 3-4 coats of Avon SuperShock Max Mascara. Sunkissed Sunrise eyes are done...

Off to the lips.
Last but not least, I lined my lips with Starlooks Lip Pencil in Tipsy. It was my first time using this liner and I liked it so much that I decided I was going to fill in my entire lip with this shade. The outcome was a gorgeous matte coral color that went perfectly with the eye.
The finished look.

Sunkissed Sunrise



I hope you enjoyed both of these looks and are daring enough to try them yourself. Post your photos  on The Messy Vanity Facebook Page and show off your look!


As Always. Thank you for stopping by The Messy Vanity,

Kat


(feedback is appreciated.)




No comments:

Post a Comment