Follow Me!

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Proof to be Proud?

My entire life I've been proud of who I am, proud of where I came from

and proud of my Puerto Rican heritage.


As a child, I knew that I was Puerto Rican, there were no ifs, ands or buts about it, I was just Katia, a Puerto Rican girl and no one ever questioned it. I have no memories of people asking me if I was "full" Puerto Rican or telling me that because I didn't like a certain food I wasn't a "real" Puerto Rican. I was taught to be proud of my heritage just like anyone else would be. 

I refuse now, as an adult, to explain myself to random people who don't know my story. I don't feel the need to.

I'm finding that the older I get, the more I'm questioned. And the older I get the more offensive it is. How dare some one question my heritage or anyone else's for that matter. Its just mind boggling to me that the words "Oh you don't know Spanish? You ain't a "REAL" Puerto Rican" come out of any ones mouth. Its at this point that I have 3 options:

  1. I could explain my past and why I no longer speak fluent Spanish... Why would I do that for someone whom I either don't know or barely know? My past is no ones business but mine and my story is a very personal one.
  2.  I could ask them if they expect every Asian they meet to speak their native tongue or every Italian they meet to speak Italian... Does every Italian have to know how to make fresh mozzarella? The answer is NO! Why? Because you would never question it, if someone says they are Italian or French or any other heritage its just accepted. So why is my heritage being questioned? I just don't get it?
  3. I could be just as rude as they are being and tell them to shove it up their ass! I'm sorry I'm not living up to your stereo typical expectations of what you think a Puerto Rican should be. Your approval does not make me who I am, I do.

Its just rude people. Yes! I am Puerto Rican. Yes! I was born there and Yes! I spent a lot of my childhood there. Yes! 100% and very proud of it but I do not have to prove it to you or anyone else for any reason! I am so sick and tired of hearing it. I wish people would just realize how offensive it is.

I know I'm not alone in this. I know there are more of you, from all different walks of life that feel the way I do. Send me a message or leave a comment below if you have felt the way I have felt.

Thanks for stopping by,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment